Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 3: On the road, er, desert, to Uyuni

So far no peanut butter in Uyuni but then again, we havent exactly been in civilization. Essentially, I`m writing this from the desert  where it is FREEZING cold right now.

Yes, I`m under several blankets, but of course, like always, my feet, despite the two pairs of socks I`m wearing, feel like icicles. I`m starting to think they have a personal vendetta against me. Yes, I get it, my entire body weight is on you all day, but you were covered in two pairs of socks and rain boots! (And yes, the irony that I was wearing rain boots in the desert was not lost on me, but it was easier than shoving them in my duffel). If anything my hands should be cold- they were exposed all day- but they`re nice and toasty.

I got so desperate I pulled out the hand-warmers (see feet, they`re not even for you!!!) that are at least five years old, as that is the last time I went skiing, which is a whole other kind of depressing...

Also, I`m not 100 percent sure if this IS the desert, because all we have seen so far.... is lakes. But maybe that is why they are special...they are oases? I think I read that somewhere...I really should know more about my current location...

...whatever, I`m blaming my memory loss on the altitude.

ANYWAY, we have seen many beautiful lakes and mountains but the real attraction will come at day 3 of the tour- the salt flats in Uyuni. Which means wifi and hot water! It also means the lovely 135 USD reciprocity fee we have to pay, as Americans, to enter Bolivia. If you ever plan on travelling to South America, be sure to check out how much it will cost you to enter each country. It is killer if you are American, but travellers from Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have to fork over some cash, too. Here is how/why/how much: http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html

Deirdre isn`t feeling well at the moment, but I am praying it is just altitude sickness and she will be better tomorrow!!!

....and then this happened:





(photo coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment